Friday, December 13, 2019


Giving Myself to God

   Several years ago my brother handed me a book that he said he thought I might like.  It was “The Seven Story Mountain”, the autobiography of the Trappist Monk Thomas Merton.

   I read the book and fell in love with the monastic way of Merton.  Over the years I’ve read many of his books and have gained great insight into my own spiritual life.  This last year I’ve been reading “A Year with Thomas Merton: Daily Meditations from His Journals".  Yesterday’s reading struck a chord deep within me.  I would like to share it:

   “I give myself completely to God.  He draws me more and more to that. I cannot know what lies ahead for me, for us, but more and more I realize God wants me to put myself in His hands, and let Him take me through the things that are to come, and I must learn to trust Him without fear, or questions, or hesitations, or withdrawal.”

   This is my hope, my prayer, my desire; to grow always closer to my God.  To trust Him in all things.  To surrender all things, both good and bad, to Him.  In this way I become more and more His, foregoing my own way and will to serve His.  This is my peace, my comfort and my strength.

Father I am Yours.
I give You all.
Take me as Your own.
Bring me to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment