Saturday, December 14, 2019


God’s Love

   “Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him.  And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, ‘This man receives sinners and eats with them.’”

   Jesus came not to condemn but to save.  The religious leaders of His time couldn’t understand this.  They condemned Him for His failure to condemn those they would condemn.  They had forgotten that the basis of the law is love.

   Our Lord dined with sinners, whether Pharisees or tax collectors.  He knew that all were sinners in need of forgiveness and the love of God.  If they could be turned from their sin by a kind word and a meal with them He didn’t hesitate to join them in their home.

   It all comes down to love.  That message gets so lost sometimes.  Yes, we can and should denounce sin as our Lord did.  But he rebuked the sin in order save the sinner, not to condemn them.  Too many times we want to condemn the sinner along with the sin; to be judge, jury and executioner.

   When I look in the mirror each morning I recognize that I am a sinner totally unworthy of God’s love and mercy.  This reminder helps me try to avoid judging others.  Their sins can be forgiven just as mine can.  I can’t expect forgiveness for my sins if I set myself up as the judge of others.  I recognize their sins, but I must also recognize my own and pray they we both seek the loving forgiveness of the Lord who loves us all.

   As Jesus said, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”  (John 8: 7)

Lord it’s so easy to see the faults of others.
But I so often overlook my own.
Help me to love rather than judge.
To hate the sin but not the sinner.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment