Tuesday, December 17, 2019


His Way

   “For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.” (John 3: 17)

   We prepare to celebrate our Saviors birth.  The word became flesh and dwelt among us.  A Messiah who came to save not condemn.

   He did not come to restore the former glory of Israel.  He did not come to establish an earthly kingdom but the kingdom of God.  A kingdom not of military might but of love and mercy.  One that welcomes all those who sincerely want to come; the sinners and the righteous alike.  One in which sin can be forgiven and the sinner saved.

   I sometimes think the most difficult requirement of Christianity is to always separate the sin from the sinner.  It is so easy to conclude that the person is defined by the sin and yet that is not the teaching of our Lord.  He taught forgiveness and welcomed the sinners into His company.  He never hesitated to rebuke sin but never failed to love the sinner.

   Nowhere in the teaching of Christ do I find anything giving me the right to determine who should or should not be saved.  If I judge I am saying I know more than God.  If I condemn I am bringing condemnation upon myself by placing my will above that of God.

   As we approach Christmas let’s try harder to follow His way.  Let’s remember that the most heinous of sins can be forgiven.  Even the sin of killing the Son of God.  “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”.  (Luke 23: 34)

Yours is a kingdom of love and mercy.
We too often judge and condemn others.
Teach us Your ways.
Help us to love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment