Saturday, December 21, 2019


The Faith to Say Yes

   “And Mary said, ‘Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be done to me according to your word.  (Luke 1: 38)
   “And the word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.”  (John 1: 14)

   This is what we celebrate; this is what the world was waiting for.  The Son of God, come to save, not to condemn.  The Messiah bringing forgiveness and mercy to all.  The Lord, offering eternal salvation.

   Mary was confused by the angel Gabriel’s announcement.  After all, she was a young Jewish girl betrothed in marriage.  A virgin who had never had relations with a man.  She knew the consequences of becoming pregnant while betrothed; shame, condemnation, and even stoning as an adulterer.  And yet, she accepted the call of God to give birth to the Savior of the world.

   I often wonder how many today would willingly agree to suffer such consequences to answer God’s call.  There are some, but far too few.  I fear most would refuse rather than face possible persecution and martyrdom.  Blessed are those who, like our Holy Mother, put God’s will before all else regardless the outcome.

   If I could be assured of one gift this Christmas it is this; that I have the faith, confidence and courage to answer God’s call and say, “Let it be done to me according to Your word.”

Jesus I celebrate Your birth.
I celebrate the Blessed Mother’s yes.
I pray for strength and faith.
May I always answer, “Yes, Lord!”

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment