Wednesday, December 4, 2019


The Unbearable Cross



   “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”  (Matt 16: 24)



   This teaching appears in each of the synoptic gospels.  It seems Matthew, Mark and Luke all wanted to ensure that everyone would understand that following Christ requires sacrifice and that bearing our cross is a part of being a Christian.


   I have found that there is a cross beyond my ability to bear.  Jesus fell several times on His way to Calvary due to the weight of His cross and I have fallen under the weight of this cross.  Simon was forced to help Jesus carry His cross.  No one need force Jesus to help me carry my cross.  Out of love and mercy He will give me strength in pain and sorrow.  He will bring me comfort and peace in times of despair.


   The cross that I cannot bear is very important.  It teaches me that I must rely on the help of God if I am to overcome the trials of this life.  He says to me as He said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.”  (2 Cor 12: 9).  Only through recognizing my weakness and turning to Him do I truly follow Christ.


   I’ve come to understand that the only unbearable cross is the one for which I refuse Jesus’ help.  I ask and He is always there.



Lord, some crosses are too heavy.
I can’t bear them alone.
You come and pick me up.
You carry the cross that I can’t.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment