Thursday, September 22, 2022

 Each Day, Each Hour 

   “The first degree of humility is obedience without delay.  This is the virtue of those who hold nothing dearer to them than Christ;” (Rule of St. Benedict, Chapter 5) 

   Of all the creatures that God placed on this earth, only mankind can tell God no.  The seas, the mountains, the plants, and animals obey God’s will for them; by their very nature they will always obey.

   But I can refuse; I can be like the stubborn two year old who stomps his feet and says “NO!” to Mom and Dad.  Mom and Dad may not put up with my disobedience, but God will allow it.  His desire is for me to obey because I love Him and want to obey Him, not because I have no other choice.

   The world is full of choices, I must make many every day.  Some are of little importance, and some are of great consequence.  It’s up to me to decide how I will use my time and any talents I might have, in frivolous activities or in strengthening my relationship with my Lord.  I must consciously make the decision to obey His will rather than my own, if not Satan will leap at the chance to help me in my disobedience.

   The free will God has given me is a double-edged sword.  Each day, each hour, even each minute, I must consciously make the decision to obey His will rather than my own.  The decisions I make, the path I choose to walk, will determine where I will spend eternity and there are only two choices; heaven or hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment