Friday, September 9, 2022

 Giving Thanks 

   It’s very easy to get wrapped up in what is wrong with the world and forget what is good.  Sometimes I feel the need to just sit quietly with the Lord and give thanks.

   At work, at parties, dinners, even very casual get-togethers it seems the topic very quickly becomes what is wrong with our nation, our church, and our world.  And certainly, there are areas in all these that need to change.  But in our haste to complain and condemn we far too often forget to give thanks for what is right.

   I try to take some time each day to shut out the world and just spend some quiet time with God.  During these times I do my best to forget the evils of the world, all those things that are so frustrating, and just plain wrong.  Instead, I try to focus on what is right and give thanks to God.

   I’m thankful for forty-eight years of marriage to a wonderful woman, one who loved me even with all my faults and shortcomings.  She brought a young man who had virtually no knowledge of God to the Church and, I believe, helped save my soul.  We shared an incredible love that could only come from God, and we still do.  Marriage ends at the passing of a spouse, but love is eternal.

   I’m thankful for four wonderful children.  Children I tried to do the best I could to raise properly although I’m sure there were also plenty of mistakes along the way.

   I’m thankful for friends who share my faith and help me in my struggles to live my life for God.  True friends are hard to find and are a blessing from God.

   I’m thankful for a very traditional parish with two wonderful priests.  Priests who have no fear of preaching God's truths whether it be politically correct or not.  It is priests like these who are truly tending the flock entrusted to them.

   There are so many things to be thankful for, so many good things in this world.  I refuse to allow the evil and immorality of secular society rob me of my peace.  I don’t deny their existence, but I place all my hopes on the One who said, “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” (Matt 28: 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment