Sunday, September 4, 2022

 Opportunities to Grow 

   There are two ways to view all the evil in the world.  I can see it and despair in the knowledge that the evil one seems to be gaining strength.  Or, I can see it and recognize it as an opportunity to grow in faith and trust in God.  One way leads to destruction, the other to heaven.

   The lesson of Job is appropriate here, “If we take happiness from God’s hand, must we not take sorrow too?” (Job 1: 10)  I was never promised that life would be easy or that there would never be pain, suffering and sorrow.  Jesus told me very clearly, “If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross every day and follow me.” (Luke 9: 23).  Jesus experienced hatred, betrayal, and finally death on a cross, should I not expect some share of the same, perhaps even to the cross?

   I am merely a man; I have no hope of ever understanding all the ways of God and His plans for me or for this world.  But I do know that His plans for me are the only way to obtain heaven.  If those plans include happiness and joy, which they often have, I give Him thanks.  If they involve pain, sorrow and suffering, I also give Him thanks for allowing me, in some small way, to join in the pains and suffering my Lord endured for me.

   It's not up to me to fix the world.  The world belongs to God, and He will see that all ends as it is intended.  It’s up to me to serve my God and share the love He has given me with others.  The world will go its’ own way regardless of me, and I must go my own way, the way of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment