Sunday, December 27, 2020

Becoming One With Christ 

   “He must increase; I must decrease. (John 3: 30) 

   “Just as the drop of water poured into the chalice at Mass mingles completely with the wine, so should your life become one with that of Christ. (Frances Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, “The Road of Hope”) 

   John the Baptist realized that Jesus must become greater while he became less.  I must allow Jesus to assume more and more control of my life, always seeking His will rather than my own.

   The image of the water mingling with the wine of the eucharist in “The Road of Hope” is a beautiful comparison to what is to happen in the life of a Christian.  There must be no separation; Christ in me, me in Christ.  Letting Him rule; submitting my will and my life to Him.

   So many times it seems people want to restrict the presence of the Lord within them, retaining certain aspects of their lives to themselves.  They may give Christ control of their “religious” self but want to continue to control the earthly side of life; the work, the play, and many of their desires.  Yet we are told, “For the Lord, your God, is a consuming fire, a jealous God.” (Deuteronomy 4: 24).  To give God less than all is not sufficient.

   If I am to increase my closeness to God, I must give up myself in favor of allowing Him control.  I must develop the same attitude as St. Paul expressed, “I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me.” (Gal 2: 19 – 20).  Everything I have, everything I am has been given me by God.  I must return all to Him to be used according to His purpose. 

All is a gift from You.

I offer everything back to You.

I relinquish myself to You.

Use me according to Your will. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment