Tuesday, December 8, 2020

 Saying Yes to God 

   “Our yes to God is without any reservations.” (Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta, “Do Something Beautiful for God”) 

   Accepting God’s call is a life-time commitment, a change in the way I live my life.  It is not a decision to be made lightly.  It needs prayerful thought and guidance from the One who is asking.

   The Blessed Virgin Mary said yes to God’s call to be the mother of the Messiah.   Imagine the pain and anguish she felt as she saw Him arrested, scourged, and forced to carry His cross through Jerusalem.  She stood at the foot of the cross as He gave His life in payment for the sins of the world.  The mother of God suffered greatly for her yes to God.

   Martyrs throughout history have said yes to God and suffered death.  Many were terribly tortured to make them deny Christ, but they refused.  They were executed in some of the most horrific ways.  They suffered death in their earthly life but a rebirth into eternal life.

   What is God asking of me?  The question weighs on my mind.  He has asked me to spend the remainder of my life in prayer and quiet contemplation.  I am not a recluse and very much enjoy the times with my family and friends, but each day I am called to spend time with Him in prayer, to shut out the world and be with Him alone.  Those times are a source of great comfort and strength.

   Do I have the faith and strength to suffer as Mary did?  Do I have the courage to suffer torture and death for Him as the martyrs have?  I pray that God would give me such strength.  Saying yes to God is a life-changing decision, it means accepting His way regardless of the cost. 

Heavenly Father, I say yes to You.

Use me according to Your will.

Give me strength to persevere.

Let me never stray from Your way. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment