Sunday, December 6, 2020

 Open the Door to Jesus 

   “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter his house and dine with him and he with me.”  (Rev 3: 20) 

   I am always amazed and humbled that the Lord only knocks at the door and waits for me to answer.  He doesn’t insist on entry, He only asks that I invite Him into my life.  I am a sinful man, a creature unworthy of His love and yet He allows me to decide.  What great love our Lord has for us.

   We are now preparing to commemorate His birth.  But are we preparing to welcome Him into our hearts?  We put up decorations, we sing Christmas carols and many who rarely see the inside of a church are attending Mass.  Still Jesus remains outside the door of many hearts, His knocking either unheard or ignored.

   I truly love the Christmas season but I’m not at all fond of what it has become.  As I walk around the stores I see virtually thousands of decorations to make our houses festive, but I have a hard time finding anything to remind us of the real reason we are to be celebrating.

   It’s not the family gatherings, not the big meals, not the fancy decorations, not even the gifts under the tree that define Christmas.  It’s remembering that the Lord so loves us that He chose to give up His glory for a while and become one like us.  To live as we live and to give His life in payment for our sins and those of the world; to open the door to heaven for you and for me.

   Jesus is knocking at our door, not only at Christmas but throughout the year.  He wants to be invited in, to live within us and to guide us on the way to heaven.  He won’t break down the door, He won’t demand entry, He will simply wait, hoping that we open the door and let Him enter. 

Lord, You came to offer salvation.

You came as an infant born in a stable.

May we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

May we open the door of our hearts to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment