Monday, December 28, 2020

 He Gives Me Rest 

   “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matt 11: 28) 

   I often think of time.  I suppose it is because sometimes I feel as if I am just biding my time until I can join my God in eternity.  That is my greatest desire; to leave this world behind and enter forever into His kingdom.  I’m certain that some part of that desire is because I want to be reunited with my wife and spend eternity with her.  The love God gave us does not end at death but is eternal.

   Nevertheless I must recognize that time is not of eternity.  I often turn to St. Peter’s second letter for comfort, “But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day.” (2 Peter 3: 8).  The concept of time affects me greatly but is not a part of the life to come.  What seems like a lengthy delay is no more than a blink of an eye in eternity.

   How do my thoughts of time relate to the scripture quoted above?  Jesus knows all my desires and all my burdens.  He knows that I am anxious to depart this life and enter into life with Him.  However, I realize and accept that His plan for me may involve many years before the time is right for me to join Him.  Until that day comes He gives me comfort, He gives me rest.  When I am low He raises me up.  When I am sad, He gives me solace.

   So I will continue to wait, albeit sometimes impatiently, for the time when He calls me home.  It will come at the proper time, the time He has chosen.  Until them I will continue to try my best to serve Him.  I will place my burdens at His feet, and He will give me rest. 

You give me rest Lord.

Rest from the trials of this world.

Your comfort gives me strength.

The strength to carry on. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment