Thursday, December 24, 2020

 Quiet Contemplation 

   “Contemplative silence is a fragile little flame in the middle of a raging ocean.  The fire of silence is weak because it is bothersome to a busy world.” (Robert Cardinal Sarah, “The Power of Silence”) 

   The world abhors silence.  Our lives are filled with noise and chaos.  There is very little opportunity for quiet and solitude.  It takes a conscious effort to seek it out, but the result is well worth the effort.  In silence there is peace, there is comfort, there is God.

   Jesus often went to the mountains or away from others to pray in solitude.  The early desert Fathers left all behind, living in caves or small huts in the middle of nowhere to find silence.  Some of those in religious orders isolate themselves in cloisters and spend most of their lives in silence.  It is a goal to be sought.  It is a way of life.

   Time and effort are necessary to achieve silence of place, heart, and mind.  Even if we can find external quiet, internal silence remains difficult.  Our minds want to be busy, not at rest.  Within just a few seconds things begin to interrupt; what’s on the schedule tomorrow?, are the kids OK?, where did I leave my car keys?  Shutting out the world is never easy; we are conditioned to live with the noise and disruptions of everyday life.

   Only with proper preparation, prayer, and consistency can we hope to achieve silent contemplation.  Even then, it is not always attained, for it is a grace of God.  For me, however, it is always the goal for which I strive in my efforts toward a closer relationship with the Lord. 

Lord I come to you in the silence.

In the quiet I know Your presence.

Help me calm myself.

Help me come to you in silence. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment