Monday, December 21, 2020

 Eternal Optimism 

   “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You have faith in God, have faith in me also.  In my father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.” (John14: 1 – 3) 

   I tend to look for the good and expect that more good will eventually come.  I base that attitude not on an unrealistic expectation about the world becoming a better place but on the above scripture.  I am an optimist because I believe that in the end all will be better.  In fact, it will be perfect. 

   I see the problems in society, in the world, and even in the Church.  I sincerely wish I could fix them.  However, I must acknowledge that there is little that I can do to effect the needed change.  I believe the better course is for me to recognize my limited abilities and instead rely upon prayer to the One who can make a difference.  Rather than complaining, worrying, and perhaps losing the peace Christ gives me, I choose to place all in the hands of God.

     My optimism does not rest on hope for this world, but on the promises of Christ.  St. Paul wrote, “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love Him.”  I recognize the woes of this world and will do what I can to help.  At the same time, I will remain detached from them, placing my trust in God and His holy will. 

This world is imperfect.

I cannot change that.

Fill my heart with faith in You.

Always trusting in Your will. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment