Saturday, December 26, 2020

 I Am Not Worthy

 

   “I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.”  (Luke 3: 16) 

   When the Pharisees asked John the Baptist who he was he answered, “I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord.”  (John 1: 23). 

    When asked why he was baptizing if he was not Elijah or a prophet, he replied, “I baptize with water, but there is one among you whom you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie. (John 1: 26 – 27).

   John’s attitude is the attitude that I must have in my relationship with Jesus.  I am not worthy of the many gifts He has given.  I am not worthy of the pain and suffering He endured to pay the price for my sins.  I am not worthy of His scourging and death on the cross.  I am not worthy of His promise of eternal life in His presence.

   Nothing I can do will ever make me worthy of Jesus and all He has done and continues to do for me.  But it not worthiness that he seeks, it is my love and devotion.  It is my willingness to try, however unsuccessfully, to live my life according to His word, it is my hope and trust in His promise of eternal life with Him if I will look to Him as my Lord and Savior.

   Each morning as part of my morning prayer time I say a prayer that ends with the words, “I’ve failed you many times, I know.  But when tonight I rest, I hope that I can kneel and say, ‘Dear God, I’ve tried my best.’”  That is what Jesus asks of me, to do my best in all things, to serve Him, to love Him with all my heart, all my mind, and all my soul.. 

Lord I can never repay You for Your blessings.

All I can do is to give You thanks and praise.

I want to serve You in all things.

Strengthen my to do my best. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment