Monday, December 7, 2020

My Rock 

   “Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to save me.  For you are my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake lead me and guide me.” (Psalm 3: 3 – 4) 

   One thing I recognize about myself is my weakness.  I find it so easy to get involved in the world, watching television far too often and long, reading too many news articles about worldly affairs over which I have little to no control.  If I allow earthly matters to take control of my life, there is no room left for God.  The world will lead me away from God, I need His strength and guidance to overcome the world and live for Him.

   I find very few instances in scripture where Jesus took much interest in the world around Him other than that related to His mission.  He cleansed the temple out of righteous anger over the desecration of God’s house, He excoriated the religious leaders of the time for their love of position and their self-importance.  But the focus of His life and mission was to save sinners, to call those who had strayed back to the flock that He was to shepherd.  To lead them to holiness in an unholy world.

   He says the same to me; calling me to focus on Him, on eternal life rather than the passing fancies of the secular world and its’ sinfulness.  Again, my weakness comes to bear.  As Paul would write to the Romans, “For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh.  The willing is ready at hand but doing the good is not.  For I do not do the good that I want, but I do the evil I do not want.” (Romans 7: 18 – 19).

   If I am to do the good that God desires, I must turn to Jesus as my rock of refuge, my fortress.  Only with His strength can I overcome the tendency of evil and sinfulness.  For me alone, it isn’t possible, but with Him all things are possible, even becoming holy through His grace. 

Lord, guide me on the path You have chosen.

Give me the strength to persevere.

Help me overcome the lures of this world.

Lead me always nearer to You. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment