Monday, January 2, 2023

 Be With the Lord 

   “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.” (Matt 12: 30) 

   Am I gathering or scattering?  I need to ask myself this question often as a way of trying to keep myself on the path that Jesus sets before me.  Am I with Him or against Him?  A tree is known by its fruit; if I am not producing good fruit I am not with Him.

   The evidence the world sees concerning my Christianity is not so much in how often I go to Mass but how I life my life.  Going to Mass is a wonderful thing and gives strength to face the temptations and allurements of the world but if my day to day life doesn’t reflect Christian values then others will see me as a hypocrite; I will be scattering rather than gathering for the Lord.

   Temptations to sin, even in things I might consider insignificant. are everywhere. For instance, in restaurants with an “endless” salad bar sharing that salad is not allowed.  If I order it and then share it with others I am saying that I am a hypocrite, that the rules don’t apply to me.  Satan tempts me with these “little” wrongs telling me that they are no big deal, they don’t mean I am not a good Christian.  If I fall into that trap I weaken my resistance to sin, which may well lead to more and greater sin.

   I have to decide whether I am with the Lord or against Him; am I gathering with Him or scattering.  If I am to be with Him, to gather with Him,  I must live my life accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment