Wednesday, January 11, 2023

 Do Not Fear 

   “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.  With the Lord on my side I do not fear.  What can man do to me?” (Psalm 118: 5 – 6) 

   There are some things that we should be afraid; a poisonous snake about to strike or a vicious dog preparing to attack for example.  What we should not fear is the future of this world; it is in God’s hands and all be done according to His will.

   That doesn’t mean that we should not do those things that make us good stewards of the creation God has entrusted to us, or to have no concern for those who need our assistance.  It is our responsibility to care for the many gifts God has given and to love our neighbor.

   The fear I’m talking about is the sometimes over-whelming despair about the evil in the world and the fact that it seems to be increasing daily.  These things have happened before and will happen again.  This kind of fear is a tool of Satan.  Fear of this sort encourages us to give up, to decide all is lost and there is nothing good to come.  In a such a demoralized state we become easy targets for the Devil’s evil temptations.

   “In the world you will have trouble; but be brave, I have conquered the world.” (John 16:33).  These words of our Lord to His apostles shortly before His passion and death bring great peace and hope.  No matter the evil the world may bring, evil has ultimately been defeated.  The battles will continue because Satan never gives up on bringing souls to his evil ways, but even he knows that his time is limited.

   Pope Benedict XVI said, “In the end, God wins.”  This is the source of my hope; this is what brings peace to my soul.  When the Lord comes again in glory all things will be made new.

No comments:

Post a Comment