Tuesday, January 3, 2023

 Pray Constantly 

   “Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” (1 Thes 5: 16 – 18) 

   For many years I struggled with scriptures that exhorted me to pray constantly, to pray always.  I could never quite understand how I could pray all the time.  Even the monks and sisters in cloistered monasteries must eat and sleep.  They also must care for others who are in need as well as the day-to-day upkeep and care of the monastery,  If even cloistered religious are not constantly at prayer, how can I hope to pray always?

   Then I came to understand that prayer is not just words directed toward God; prayer is a way of life.  If I offer all that I do to God then all that I do becomes prayer.  Whether it be sitting quietly contemplating Him and His love for me or cleaning the house or even entertaining friends with a meal and fellowship, it is all prayer if it is done for the greater glory of God.

   There is another aspect to recognizing that all I do can be prayer when offered to God.  If I desire to please God in this way I must be sure to never offer anything evil, but only the good.  I can’t lose my temper and expect that to be an acceptable prayer.  I can’t allow the evils of the world to overcome my efforts to please my Lord.  I can’t hate my enemies and wish them evil but must love and pray for them.

   I still don’t believe that I am praying always.  In my weakness I sometimes fail and sin.  But even then I can offer my sorrow and regrets for those failings as prayer to God, seeking His mercy and forgiveness.  In His love He will forgive though we both know that I will fail again.

No comments:

Post a Comment