Sunday, January 29, 2023

 The Sunday Obligation 

   The Catholic Church teaches that I have a moral obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days.  However, if that obligation is the only reason I attend Mass I am missing the point.

   I go to Mass because it is a privilege, an honor, and a blessing.  I can think of no better way to show my Lord how much I love Him, how much I worship Him, than to join with others in giving Him glory and praise at Mass.  It fills my soul and my heart with joy.

   I’ve heard people say that they don’t need church to worship God.  They say they can worship Him in the woods, in the beauty of nature and so on.  And they can certainly worship and give glory to God through His creations.  But in the commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai God tells us to “Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.” (Ex 20: 8).  This, to me, is God Himself telling me that I must join with other Christians to give praise and glory to God; to go to Mass, to keep the sabbath holy.

   A friend of mine recently posed the question, “If you never went to your best friend’s house and never visited with them, but assured them that you loved them and they were always on your mind, how long do you think you would keep their friendship?”  Jesus is the best friend I can have and I want to do everything I can to honor that friendship, to give Him glory in all that I do, both in how I live my life and by attending Mass as often as I can, on Sundays, Holy Days, and daily.

   Yes, I have an obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days.  But if that is the only reason I do so, I am insulting my best Friend, my Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment