Wednesday, May 8, 2024

 Strive for Excellence

   “Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.” (1 Cor 12: 31) 

   The question I must ask myself is whether I am striving to achieve excellence in my spiritual life.  Am I willing to take the time to spend in prayer with our Lord, to submit myself to His will no matter what it might entail?  If not, how will I ever enter His kingdom?

   As a Benedictine Oblate I am guided by the rule of St. Benedict which urges me to “strive for Christian perfection.”  Of course there is no perfection in this world, but to strive for it is what is needed if I am to enter the kingdom of God.  Failures will come, and yes, I will sin.  But I will also turn to the love and mercy of God for forgiveness and the strength to do better going forward.

   Regardless of my state in life, regardless of my success or failure in the ways of the world, only my desire and effort to find spiritual excellence will matter at the judgement.  As an athlete must train, as a musician must practice, I must pray and spend time with our Lord.  I will never be an Olympic athlete or an award winning musician, but I can be a saint, the person God created me to be.

   I must do all I can to excel in Christianity.  I must offer myself to the Lord.  I must say and live by the words, “I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.” (Gal 2: 19 -  20).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment