Monday, May 6, 2024

 Where Is Our God? 

   “The light of faith makes us see what we believe.” (St. Thomas Aquinas) 

   We cannot see God, but we can see the evidence of God.  With an open mind and an open heart our eyes will be opened, and we will see God in all there is.

   St. Thomas Aquinas said that God is not a being.  God is “Being” itself.  He is, always has been and always will be.  He told Moses when asked for His name, “I am who I am.” (Exodus 3: 14).  The great I AM is the God of creation and the God of love.

   We tend to want to picture God, but nothing we may imagine can adequately portray Him.  In art we often see Him depicted as an older man, even grandfatherly in appearance.  In fact God is not a man at all, He simply is. 

   But where is God?  We speak of His throne in heaven, but I question whether heaven is a place or a state of being.  If it is a place, where is it?  Christ told His apostles, “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.” (John 14: 2).  Does this imply that heaven is a place?

   Jesus also said, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with Him.” (John 3:14).  So is heaven a place or within us?

   If asked where God is I would answer, He is within me and within you.  He is in the majesty of His creation, from the vast universe down to the smallest atom.  He is in the sunrise and the sunset.  He simply is all things and all people.  He is “I am who I am.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment