Thursday, May 2, 2024

Sunrise – Sunset 

   “The span of our life numbers seventy years, or perhaps eighty, if we have enough strength.” (Psalm 90: 10) 

   One way to look at life is to compare it to a day.  The sun rises, the day progresses, and the sun sets.  In life, we are born, we grow and mature, we age and grow old.  Then, at the time appointed by God, we leave this world.

   In the morning of life I was often far more consumed by the desires of this world.  My efforts were directed to having fun and enjoying life, never worrying about the future.  My death rarely, if ever, crossed my mind.

   Now in my 70’s, the reality of my morality is more evident.  My body shows signs of age, I have less energy, and suffer more bodily aches and pains.  I recognize that the sunset of life is approaching.  This reality has created a more fervent need to ensure that I am in the grace of our Lord, prepared for what comes after this life.

   I regret that I didn’t come to understand my need to know, love, and follow my Lord sooner.  Looking back I see times in my life when God was calling me, but at the time I ignored Him.  In His mercy, He did not take me when I was unprepared but gave me time to come to Him.  For that I will be eternally grateful.

   Death is a transition from one life to another.  It is a door that I must pass through at some point.  The question I must answer is whether I’m prepared to open that door and walk through?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment