Saturday, April 15, 2023

 Following His Will 

   “My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain where it will lead.” (Thomas Merton) 

   These words from “The Prayer of Thomas Merton” often describe my spiritual life.  I know where I want to go but the path is not always clearly marked.

   I want to live my life according to God’s will for a very simply reason – I love Him above all else and I want to spend eternity in His kingdom.  However, discerning His will each day can be difficult and, at times, seemingly impossible.

   I fear that I might mistake my will for God’s will and take a wrong turn on the road to salvation.  It’s so easy to say to myself “this is God’s will for me”, but how can I be certain?

   Our Lord said, “And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Luke 11: 9).  So I ask, “Lord, what is your will for me?”; “Father, show the path that I seek, the path that will lead me to you”; "Lord, open the doors to your kingdom to me when this life is over.”  I call upon His promise that I may not be lost.

   I trust in God’s mercy and the promises of Christ so I move ahead on the path that my heart tells me is correct.  I am  confident that if I am taking a wrong turn, God will call me back.  Thomas Merton’s prayer also gives me hope and solace in my efforts: 

 

   “And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road even though I may know nothing about it.  Therefore, will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment