Wednesday, April 19, 2023

 Metanoia 

   In the biblical sense metanoia means a complete transformation of who we are into the image of who God is.  If I want to grow in faith, if I want to strive toward Christian perfection, I must undergo metanoia.

   If I am unwilling to change myself, to reinvent myself according to God’s will, I am never going to become what I truly should be; holy, sanctified in the eyes of God, a saint. 

   It can’t be a halfway conversion.  Otherwise, I risk becoming a lukewarm Christian; one of those to whom Christ said, “I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either cold or hot.  So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.” (Rev 3: 15 – 16).

   I have said many times that Christianity cannot be a part time thing, it must consume my life and all aspects of my life.  I must always seek the will of God, saying as our Blessed Mother said, “May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38).  Nothing else will suffice.

   Living as God desires in a sinful, evil world requires strength, determination, and perseverance.  It requires ignoring the disrespect, the name calling, and even the hatred that some have for Christians.  It requires loving even those who hate me.  It requires the grace of God.  It requires metanoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment