Tuesday, April 25, 2023

 His Will, Not Mine 

   “He advanced a little and fell prostrate in prayer, saying, ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.’” (Matt 26: 39) 

   Jesus knew what pain and suffering He was to endure.  In His humanity He wanted to avoid that bitter cup.  But in His divinity He placed those desires beneath that of the Father’s will.

   I see this event in His life as an example we are all to follow.  There are many things in life that I would prefer to avoid; pains, sorrows, and the loss of family and friends can be devastating at times.  As a human I would wish to eliminate them all, but I know that is not possible.

  To spend my life complaining or becoming despondent about the crosses I may have to bear is useless and does tremendous harm.  As difficult as it may be, it is far better to follow my Lord’s example and defer to the will of the Father in all things.  To refuse to accept His will is to refuse to accept Him.

   I believe that the hardships of this world help me grow in trust and faith in Him.  Yes, it can be extremely difficult at times, but I know that there is some good to be found even in the evil I sometimes must endure.  I look at Jesus on the cross and I see the greatest act of evil ever perpetrated, the murder of God.  And yet, from that evil came the greatest good of all, the redemption and salvation of all who would believe.

   So, yes Lord, if it is possible for me to avoid some of the hardships of life I would choose to do so.  But more importantly, always and in every way may your will, not mine, be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment