Thursday, April 6, 2023

 The Real Presence 

   “Then he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them saying, ‘This is my body, which will be given up for you; do this in memory of me.’  And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.’” (Luke 19 – 20) 

   With these words at the last supper Jesus instituted the sacrament of the Eucharist.  At the consecration during every Mass, the bread and wine become the Eucharist, the real presence of our Lord.  Though may appear unchanged their essence has become the Body and Blood of Jesus.  It is a miracle and miracles are, by definition, unexplainable.

   Many say it is only a “symbol”, that it isn’t real.  And yet Jesus unequivocally stated, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.”  (John 6: 53).  Many of the Jews could not accept this teaching.  Even many of His disciples walked away from Him because of it.  If it were only a symbol He would have never allowed them to leave;  He would have clarified that He was speaking symbolically.  But He did not, He meant exactly what He had said.

   At a conference attended by the Catholic writer Flannery O’Conner, the statement was made that “It (the Eucharist) is a beautiful symbol.”  To which O’Conner replied,  “If it’s just a symbol, to hell with it.”  There are many things that can be discussed and questioned, but the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist is not one of them.

   A protestant friend once asked me why I am a Catholic.  I answered,  “I am Catholic because I must have the Body and Blood of my Lord in the Eucharist.  It is the Bread of Life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment