Friday, April 14, 2023

 Quo Vadis? 

   Quo Vadis is Latin for “where are you going?”  There is a tradition that tells of Peter leaving Rome due to the persecutions of the Christians.  On the Appian Way he meets Jesus on the road and asks, “Quo Vadis Domini?” (“Where are you going Lord?”).  According to the story Jesus replied that He was going to Rome to be crucified a second time in place of Peter.  At this Peter returned to Rome and was subsequently crucified.

   Stories such as this, whether they really happened or not, always have a valid truth to them.  In this case the question asked by Peter is one that Jesus asks each of us daily. “Quo Vadis?”, where are you going? 

   We must answer that question; we must decide where we are going in life.  Will we follow the Lord and pick up our cross?  Will we follow Him wherever He may lead?  Or will we, like Peter, try to run from persecution and hardship?  Will we put our own well-being above serving Christ?

   I have a role that Jesus has determined for me just as Peter did.  I, too, must decide whether to fulfill His will or turn from it and run as Peter was running from Rome.  I know also that I often fail in my attempts to follow Jesus.  The fact that even Peter dealt with such failures and found forgiveness through Christ’s mercy gives me comfort.  No matter my offences, if I turn to the Lord in sorrow and repentance He will forgive me just as He forgave Peter.

   It is up to me to decide whether I will follow Christ or abandon Him.  Will I pick up my cross, whatever it may be, or run from it?  When Jesus asks me, “Quo Vadis?”, how will I answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment