Wednesday, April 5, 2023

 With God as My Witness 

   I remember hearing people trying to convince others that they were being truthful by swearing "With God as my witness”.  I wonder how many actually believed that God was their witness?  Did they recognize that He is a witness to all we do and sees our every act?  Or was it just like so many references to God that really had no meaning or thought behind it?

   It’s been a long time since I’ve heard that phrase and I really wouldn’t want it to make a comeback as just another way of trying to convince someone of our truthfulness.  Our Lord told us, “Let your “Yes” mean “Yes”, and your “No”, mean “No.”  Anything more is from the evil one.”  (Matt 5: 36 – 37).  If we are, in fact, being truthful there is no need to swear to it by God’s name and if we aren’t we are sinning by invoking the name of God for a lie.

   However, we do need to keep in mind that God is always our witness.  Whether we do good or sin He sees and knows, nothing is hidden.  In most cases people try to hide the evil that they do so that others are unaware.  They believe sins and evil are better off hidden “under the cover of darkness” even though nothing is hidden from God, “If I asked darkness to cover me, and light to become night around me, that darkness would not be dark to you, night would be as light as day.” (Psalm 139: 11 – 12).

   In our hearts we must always remember that God surely is our witness and act accordingly.  And if we do, there will be no need to invoke the name of God to convince others of our truthfulness and sincerity.  Our life and the way we live it will be witness enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment