Wednesday, August 2, 2023

 Be A Doer 

   “Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding  yourselves.” (James 1: 22) 

   I think most of us are much more comfortable being hearers of the word than being doers of the word.  After all, hearing the word just takes a little of our time.  It doesn’t interfere with our life except for the few minutes spent in church on Sunday.  Being a doer might mean that we know longer fit in with some of our friends.  We may become unwelcome, even in our own family for rejecting the ways of society and speaking up for the ways of God.

   Earlier in life I was more of a hearer than a doer.  I heard but I didn’t really allow the words to change my life. Over time I realized that to be the person God wants me to be I must not only hear His words, but act upon them.  They must become the driving force of my life.

   The word metanoia means a transformative change of heart, especially a spiritual conversion.  If I have not undergone such a change in my life I am deluding myself and endangering my eternal soul.  Unless I am willing to give all to God, trusting in Him and all His ways I have no right to call myself a Christian.

   Christianity is not a passive experience; it is all encompassing.  I must not only hear the word, but I must also act upon those words.  Otherwise, I cannot expect to hear the words, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father.  Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.” (Matt 25: 34).

No comments:

Post a Comment