Thursday, August 31, 2023

 Belief in God 

   “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word “darkness” on the walls of his cell.”  (C. S. Lewis) 

   More and more people identify themselves as “none” when asked their religion.  They call themselves atheists or agnostics, but what they truly are is lost.

   Did you ever notice that many atheists go out of their way to debate Christians and those who believe in Christ.  Why should they care what anyone else believes so long as they are left alone in their unbelief?  I think at least some of them want to continue the debate because deep within they question their own argument.

   Christians enter the debate in the hopes of saving the souls of others by helping them find God in their lives, but what does the atheist hope to do?  Do they believe that faith in God is harmful and, therefore, the public should be warned?  I would suggest to those who do not believe in God to ask themselves a simple question, “What if I’m wrong?” 

   If I, as a Christian, am wrong and there is no God what has my faith cost me….nothing.  I have lived a life trying to love others and help those in need.  I’ve tried to control my earthly desires and wants and to serve my God in the hopes of spending eternity in God’s Kingdom.  If I am wrong and death is the end, so what.  I will simply cease to exist.  There will be no regrets or sorrows, just nothingness.

   However, if the atheist is wrong, they have lost eternal happiness and joys for the fleeting pleasures of the world.  For their prideful certainty that there is no God who made and guides this world and all that is in it, they have condemned themselves to an eternity of misery and sorrow with no hope of correcting their mistake.

   Christianity is a fact; it is the path to heaven and there is no other.  That is my belief, and I will live my life accordingly.  If some believe this makes me a fool, so be it.  I am not concerned with the so-called wisdom of this world, but with the reality of the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment