Thursday, August 10, 2023

 Loving God 

   “God does not think it too much that He should give Himself entirely to you. Live your life, therefore, entirely for Him. Give Him all and in Him you will find all.” (Alexander De Rouville, “The Imitation of Mary”) 

   When I look at Jesus hanging on the cross I see the love of God.  A love so strong that He would sacrifice His own Son to pay the price of my sins.  On that cross Christ opened the door to heaven for those who would believe, and He did so with the greatest love known to mankind.

   I look back over my life and see the many times I spurned that love by my sins.  Rather than seeking the will of God, I sought my own earthly desires and pleasures.  Even then God’s love for me remained, never growing cold, never weakening.

   He could have taken me from this life during those times, justly condemning me for all eternity.  Instead, He was patient, giving me time to come to know Him and love Him as I should.  I wish it was possible to go back and undo the evil I have done, but I can't.  I can, however, give Him the rest of my life, loving Him and seeking His will in all things.

   I have, in the past, done many things to offend God.  Now I would rather die the most painful death than to ever again sin against Him. I deserved condemnation and He gave me forgiveness and mercy.  I deserved eternity in hell and He has shown me the path to eternal happiness in His kingdom.

   I pray for the strength to love Him more and more each day, to never again offend Him.  I ask Him to make me holy, to make me totally and completely one with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment