Wednesday, August 9, 2023

 Keeping the Peace 

   “Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give, this is my gift to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” (John 14: 27) 

   Sometimes the world can begin to affect the gift of Christ’s peace within me.  There is much evil and sinfulness in the world, but those things can only rob me of my peace if I allow it to be so.  Instead, I can choose to see the blessings and beauty that surround me and recognize that all will be well; God is in control.

   The problems of the world may be many, but they are temporary.  They will one day cease to exist.  The world and all that is in it will disappear in the blink of an eye.  Jesus said, “In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” (John 16: 33).  When we trust in His word we will know His peace.

   I look at the world and I can’t help but see the evil that is there.  But there is so much beauty and so many blessings as well.  Take a walk at daybreak and witness the beauty and majesty of a sunrise.  Hear the birds singing their morning songs of praise to God.

   Hold a newborn in your arms and be amazed by the new life God has given.  Feel the tiny hand grasping your finger, see the smile and hear the chuckle of an infant;  these things can’t help but bring joy and peace to your heart.

   Yes, there are a lot of problems in the world.  No, we can’t fix them all.  What we can do is listen to Christ, trust in His word, and know that the peace He gives can’t be overcome by the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment