Monday, August 7, 2023

 Society in Decline 

   “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grave, that I must go down to see whether or not their actions are as bad as the cry against them that comes to me.  I mean to find out.” (Gen 18: 20 – 21) 

   For years I’ve heard people say, “society is going to hell in a handbasket” because of the growing wickedness in our nation.  Some of it was hyperbole but there was some truth to it as well.  History shows that when society deteriorates beyond a certain point, that society and the nation that supports it dies.

   God will only tolerate evil for so long.  I fear that our society, our nation, is  nearing the point of extinction, of going the same route as Sodom and Gomorrah.  What is evil is called good and those who disagree are subject being “cancelled” from public discourse.  Polite discussion and debate are dead, only acquiescence and acceptance of the evil is tolerated.  Our government bows to the whims of a wicked society and punishes those who would fight against it.

   I have no choice but to live in the world, but I do not have to allow the world to live in me.  For me this means more time at home, exposing myself to the world as little as possible.   I am not yet a hermit, but more and more I am withdrawing from society at large.  It’s painful to watch the nation I love, the nation I served for over twenty years in the Navy, speeding down the path of destruction. 

   My peace and comfort come only from faith in God and the knowledge that all will eventually conform to His will.  Perhaps the people will reach the point where they can no longer tolerate the evil and begin to push back, forcing it back into the darkness from where it comes.  If not, I fear this society, this nation, will be lost forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment