Saturday, August 12, 2023

 Heaven On My Mind 

   “What eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 9) 

   From time to time my mind turns to heaven.  I don’t consciously decide to think about heaven, I simply find that heaven is on my mind.  Perhaps because entering those gates is my greatest desire, or maybe it’s because I have confidence that my wife is waiting for me there.  Whatever the reason I spend quite a bit of time contemplating heaven.

   When I think of heaven I sometimes feel like a young child who has just found out that they are going to a major theme park for the very first time.  I feel excited, anxious, and curious about how it will be when I get there.  There are many ways of finding out what to expect at the park, but not so much about what to expect in heaven.  Still, the excitement and anticipation is great.

   I know and understand what Paul was saying in the scripture above.  Heaven is so wonderful, so incredible, that the human mind cannot even begin to appreciate what awaits those who love God.  Happiness, peace, love beyond compare; of course.  But what else will there be?  It’s impossible to know but enticing to consider.

   However, contemplating heaven may also bring possible danger.  If I become so enamored with trying to figure out what heaven is, I could lose sight of how I must live my life to get there.  An obsession, even with heaven, is not a healthy thing.

   I’m certain that my thoughts will continue to turn to heaven many times before I leave this world.  As long as those thoughts inspire me to live in such a way as to always please God I believe those thoughts will help me along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment