Thursday, August 3, 2023

 What’s In A Name? 

   Newborns are given their names for many reasons.  In biblical times a lot of thought and consideration was given to what a child should be named.  Today the importance of names has all but been forgotten.

   Some names have meanings beyond just something to call someone.  The Archangels, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael are good examples of this; Michael means “who is like God”, Gabriel means God is my strength, and Raphael means “God has healed”.

   Even place names have meanings.  Jerusalem means "city of peace", Bethel is “house of God”.  Jesus’ birthplace, Bethlehem, means “House of Bread”, perhaps foretelling that the body and blood of Christ would be given as the Bread of Life, true food and true drink

   Jesus changed Simon’s name to Peter (Rock) saying, “So I now say to you:  You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church.  And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it.”  (Matt 16: 18).  Peter would become the first Pope of the Church.

   Saul of Tarsus became Paul after his conversion on the road to Damascus.  He would become the apostle to the Gentiles, one of the greatest evangelists of all time.

   Those entering religious communities choose a new name for themselves, usually that of a saint or a devotion that has special meaning to them.  When I made my promises as a Benedictine Oblate I chose the name Joseph, the earthly father of our Lord.  St. Joseph is a model of humility and obedience to the Lord, even when obedience was difficult.  I also want to live with such humility and obedience before God and ask St. Joseph to help me in those efforts..

   Names are important, they mean something.  I think it would be good to return to the practice of taking the time to choose a meaningful name for newborns rather than opting for the latest fad.  A child is far more important than whatever happens to be popular in society at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment