Thursday, August 17, 2023

 Worthy Confession 

   Call it spring cleaning, a deep cleaning or whatever, my house occasionally needs a major cleaning beyond what I normally do.  It needs the attention of a professional who has the right equipment to thoroughly clear away the dirt and grime that has collected in the corners and hidden areas.

   I see my soul in the same light.  Mortal sin stirs the consciousness because of its wickedness and evil, making it nearly impossible to go undetected.  But I, like all humanity, am sinful.  Not a day goes by that sin does not occur in my life.  I fear there are crevasses in my soul where the “small” sins, the venial, even unknown sins of day to day life hide, going unnoticed.  Unless these are confessed and forgiven they will continue to fester and grow, perhaps easing the way to mortal sin, destroying my relationship with God.

   There is only one who can completely cleanse the soul, forgiving all sin, Jesus Christ.  Confession of my sins is necessary for this cleaning to occur, but it must be one of sorrow and with a firm desire to amend my life, to avoid sin going forward.  If my only reason for confession is to avoid hell, I am being selfish, not truly repentant.  My confession must be one of sorrow for offending God who loves me and deserves all my love.

   God sees deeply into my soul, into the small cracks that I am not even aware of.  He sees the sins that I don’t even recognize as sin. I must come to Him in sorrow, seeking mercy and forgiveness with a sincere desire to amend my life.  When I do, He hears the words of Jesus as He was dying on the cross, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23: 34).  And I am forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment