Saturday, August 19, 2023

 Past, Present, Future 

   “As to the past let us entrust it to God’s mercy, the future to Divine Providence.  Our task is to live holy the present moment.” (St. Gianna Molla) 

   The past is just that – past.  There is nothing I can do to change it.  I wish there were a way I could correct the mistakes of the past, but they are done, and nothing can change them.

   There is no benefit to be had in worrying about my past sins and failures, they are forgiven and are no longer of any consequence to my spiritual life.  It is good to remember them from time to time only to remind myself of how easy it is to slip into sin, destroying my relationship with God.

   Like most people I often consider the future, making plans and hoping that things go well.  It would be foolish to ignore reasonable preparation, but it’s important to remember that the future is uncertain and may not come at all.  There is only one thing that is certain; at some point I must depart this life.   Everything, including the day and time of my death, rests in the providence of God.  The future that I must plan for is not so much for this life, but for eternal life in His kingdom.

   The past is gone, and the future may never come.  Therefore, I must live this moment and every moment for God, placing all my hopes and trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment