Sunday, August 6, 2023

 The Transfiguration 

   “Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain where they could be alone.  There in their presence he was transfigured; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became as white as the light.” (Matt 17: 1 – 2) 

   I consider the transfiguration one of the most important events in the life of Christ.  Not because it was necessarily His greatest miracle or teaching but because it gives me tremendous hope.  I may not be blessed to have actually seen Jesus transfigured and glorified as Peter, James, and John did, but that doesn’t lessen my faith that it occurred just as scripture says.  As St. Paul said, “We walk by faith.” (2 Cor 5: 7).

   When the day of resurrection comes, my body will be transfigured and glorified just as Jesus’ was.  I believe Jesus chose to allow the three apostles to see this event to give them strength for the trials to come in life.  To give them hope and confidence in what is to come in the next life.  It gives me strength and as hope as well.

   Even in this life I must undergo a transfiguration of sorts.  My life must be conformed to the will of God.  I must live my life for Him to the best of my ability and with His loving help.  All else is to become secondary; worldly desires must give way to God’s plans for me.  I need to submit my will to God’s, never considering the consequences, for that is what will lead me to my own Mt. Tabor when this life is done.

   My life is to be a journey of change and spiritual growth, a transfiguration if you will.  Each day is a step either forward or backward.  If I am not moving forward I am falling behind in spirit.  I know that I can’t do it alone; I am weak and sinful by nature.  However, as Jesus said, “For human beings it is impossible, but not for God.  All things are possible for God.” (Mark 10: 27).

No comments:

Post a Comment