Wednesday, August 30, 2023

 The Repentant Thief 

   “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” (Luke 23: 42) 

   Sometimes it seems to me that the thief on the cross, who barely knew Jesus at all, was the one who first fully understood who He was.  “Then he said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’  He answered him, ‘Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.’” (Luke 23: 42 – 43)  A death row criminal was the first to enter the kingdom of God.

   The apostles ran away when Jesus was arrested, Peter denied he even knew Him.  They seemed defeated and confused by His death even though He had told them that He must die and would be raised up on the third day.  Only John returned and was with the Blessed Mother at the foot of His cross.

   Thomas had lived and walked with Jesus throughout His ministry, but when told that Jesus had risen he said, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20: 25).

   Perhaps it’s a lesson for those of us who will never have the opportunity to see and hear our Lord in this world.  The thief on the cross most likely had no idea of who Christ was before that day.  But seeing Him on the cross, praying for those who put Him there, he understood that He was the Messiah and turned to Him for mercy and forgiveness.

   When Jesus gave him the chance to examine His wounds Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God” (John 20: 28).  Jesus answered, “Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” (John 20: 29).  We, who have not seen, must still believe and say, “My Lord and my God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment