Monday, October 2, 2023

 Christian Perfection 

   As a Benedictine Oblate I made certain promises.  I am to live according to the Rule of St. Benedict as closely as possible in the secular world, letting it guide me in spirit in all that I do.  I am also to strive for Christian perfection in a world where perfection does not exist.

   Scripture also calls me to perfection.  During the Sermon on the Mount (Matt, chapter 5) Jesus tells me, “You must therefore be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matt 5: 48).

   How can this be possible for a sinner who is not capable of perfection?  I don’t know and I’ve given up trying to understand.  “For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible” (Matt 19:26).  His will be done.

   So, each day I ask the Lord to give me the wisdom to know His will, and the strength and perseverance to live accordingly.  I know and God knows that I will at times fail in that endeavor.  However, I believe that my sincerity and desire to do so keeps me on the path that will lead me to Him.

   Perfection is unattainable, but the pursuit of perfection is not.  As St. Paul wrote, “I am racing for the finish, for the prize to which God calls us upwards to receive in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 3: 14).

No comments:

Post a Comment