Tuesday, October 17, 2023

 To Be Holy 

   “I don’t pray because I am holy, but because I want to become holy and I need Jesus to teach me.”  (Briege McKenna O.S.C.) 

   The only way to get into heaven is to become holy.  But I can’t make myself holy, only God can do that.  So, each day I ask God to make me Holy, to make me the man He created me to be.

   St. Augustine wrote, “He who created us without our help will not save us without our consent.”  I had no part in my creation, but I must take part in becoming holy.  I must consent to God’s will and allow Him to do whatever it takes to bring holiness to me.  I must be willing to accept whatever comes if I am to become the man I am meant to be.  There may be pain and sorrow and there will be joy and happiness along the way.  But in either case I will accept it as the will of God and give Him thanks for all things.

   The Archangel Gabriel, when the Blessed Mother asked how she could become the mother of our Savior answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you;" (Luke 1: 35).  The same must happen to me if I am to become holy, and I, like Mary, must reply, “…let it be with me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38)

   Amen Lord, make me holy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment