Monday, October 23, 2023

 The Miracle of Love 

   “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” (Matt 10: 37 – 38) 

   People have often struggled with this scripture and its meaning.  It appears to be telling us that our love for Jesus must take precedence, even  over our own family, that our greatest love must be for Jesus, above all others.  And that is exactly what it tells us.

   But there’s an interesting truth that comes from obeying this teaching about loving Jesus above all.  A truth that makes this scripture far more meaningful and easily accepted.  That truth is simple; if we love Christ first and foremost our love will be returned to us thirty-fold, or sixty-fold, or a hundred-fold.  And that love ,coming from the One we love best, enables us to love all those we should love in this world with an even greater love.

   Love is a miracle, it can’t be fully explained or comprehended in human terms; it is of God and what is of God is often beyond our full understanding.  Love defies logic; when we give it away it comes back multiplied.  When we withhold it, we lose it.  We are even told to love those who hate us.

   All I know is this; when I sit in the silence alone with my God in prayer offering all my love to Him, I experience the warmth of His love returning to me; far more love than I am able to offer Him.  It is then up to me to share the miracle of His love with others.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment