Saturday, October 14, 2023

 Who Am I? 

   “I show God and the world who I am in the quality and integrity of my moral acts.” (Bishop Robert Barron) 

   Jesus asked His apostles, “Who do people say that I am?”  I wonder what the answer would be if I asked the same question.  Would people know that I am a Christian and that I’ve given my life to God or would that come as a surprise to them.

   Jesus also said, “You will know them by their fruits.” (Matt 7: 16).  Do my actions and way of life produce the fruits of Christianity and faith in God?  These are questions that I must answer.

   Would the person I “flip off” for pulling out in front of me in their car see me as a Christian or a jerk?  Would the unkindly eye roll toward the elderly woman struggling to find her checkbook in her purse to pay for her groceries recognize Christ within me?  How about the server at the restaurant who I berated for not keeping my coffee cup full and then undertipped?  Would they see me as one full of love for others or a demanding pain in the butt?

   Christianity is not a private matter; it is a way of life.  Anyone who knew Jesus well knew exactly who He was, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” (Matt 16: 16).  Would anyone say of me, “He is a Christian, you can tell by the way he loves and treats others?”  Perhaps, but only if I live my life in the love of God, sharing that love with all.

No comments:

Post a Comment