Friday, October 6, 2023

 One With God 

   “Dear Lord, when shall I be completely one with You and entirely forgetful of myself?  You in me and I in You; grant that we may be always so and remain as one forever.  Amen” 

   I recite this prayer every morning.  It is what I desire more than anything; to be one with my God.  To let this world slip away and be totally with Him in all things.

   I wonder if it is possible to be totally one with God in this lifetime; can a mere man hope to achieve such a thing?  This is something I must strive for each day though fully aware that it will most likely not come to fruition until I have left this life behind.

   Still, it is a worthy prayer, a desire that I believe all Christians should have.  If more of us sought to forget the “me” things in life and concentrated more on the “God” things, it would be a better world.

   However, if oneness with God is our goal we must understand that it comes with a price.  We can’t grow closer to God unless we grow away from ourselves and our earthly wants and desires.  We must come to believe and trust that, should we lose all we have in this world but still have the love of God, then we are rich in what truly matters.

   On the cross, Jesus cried out, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” (Luke 23: 46).  When we open our hearts; when we open our souls; when we commend our spirit to our heavenly Father, we are becoming more and more one with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment