Saturday, October 28, 2023

 The Monastic Life 

   “I am the brother of the monks; I belong to the monastic Order; I am no longer of the world.” 

   Each morning I recite the above to remind myself that I have been accepted into the Benedictine family of Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey.  It’s important for me to keep this thought in mind as I go through the day; to remind myself of the promises I made when I became a Benedictine Oblate.

   I don’t live at the Abbey, and I am not cloistered.   Therefore, I must strive to live the monastic life as best I can though still living in the secular world.  If you asked my brothers at the Abbey they would tell you that I am a “monk apart;” one who is endeavoring to live by the Rule of St. Benedict in the world at large.

   My home has, in many ways, become my “Abbey” and my bedroom my “cell.”  In my home I can live in the silence and solitude that drew me to the monastic life.  I can shut out the world and focus on my life with God.  It’s important that I be able to separate myself from the daily distractions of the world if I am to live in search of a stronger and more personal relationship with my Lord.

   The Rule of Saint Benedict teaches that I am to pursue Christian perfection in all I do.  Of course, there is no way for an imperfect man to achieve Christian perfection in an imperfect world.  This means that I must focus on the pursuit, understanding that I cannot reach the goal in this lifetime.  But the effort to do so brings me closer to God and His will for me.

   This life is not for everyone, but it has brought great peace and joy to me.  Have I progressed in my efforts?  I hope so, though I can never allow my pride to tell me that I’m doing well; I must continue the struggle and wait for the Lord to tell if I am succeeding.  Realistically I know that I will fail at times, and I always will.  Someone once said, “It’s not how often you fall, it’s how often you get back up and try again.”  I pray that the Lord will always give me the strength to get back up and continue the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment