Sunday, June 30, 2024

 The Father’s Will 

   “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my heavenly Father.” (Matt 7: 21) 

   Jesus said that He had come, not to do His will, but the will of the Father.  Consider that for a moment.  The Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, God Himself, chose to become obedient to the will of the Father.  Obedient even to death on a cross.  If our Lord and Savior chose to serve the Father’s will so completely, how can we expect a heavenly reward if we do less?

   When I consider what it means to do the will of the Father, the first thing I realize is that I must give up my will.  I must join Jesus in saying, “Not my will but yours be done.” (Matt 26: 39).  This means that I must accept whatever comes willingly and patiently, always trusting that God’s will is the path to Heaven though I may not understand how.

   Jesus also said that I must love my neighbor as myself.  That too is the will of the Father.  If I do not have love, not just for those who love me but even for those I might consider my enemies I will not pass through those pearly gates.  Christ is in each of us; if I refuse to love my neighbor I am refusing to love Jesus.

   I must also deny myself, pick up my cross daily and follow Christ if I am to do the will of the Father. (Mark 8: 34).  The crosses I bear will never be more difficult than those carried by Jesus.  His whole life was one of carrying crosses.  The cross of rejection, betrayal, abuse, and finally the horrible death of the cross on Calvary.

   Following the will of God will not always be easy, but I do not bear my crosses alone.  God’s desire is that no one be lost and, when I am overwhelmed by life, unable to carry on, He gives me peace, comfort, hope, and the strength to continue.  The path may be difficult at times, but the destination is worth any price I may be asked to pay.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment