Monday, January 14, 2019


Distractions

   In prayer I become distracted, Satan tugging at my mind to draw me from God.  When reading the word of God or other spiritual books my mind wanders, the evil one trying his best to pull me from the spirit.  I pray the Holy Rosary and sometimes forget which mystery I am contemplating.  Even at Mass my mind wanders from the worship of my Lord.

   In the quiet times when I sit with my Lord and simply be with Him Satan comes to remind me of sins committed many years ago; sins long forgiven by our merciful Lord.  In most everything I do I find myself succumbing to his lures, drawing me from those things that are of God.

   Yet, in some ways I am grateful for the distractions.  They remind me of how vulnerable I am to Satan’s temptations.  They reinforce humility within me. In my weakness I cannot push him away; I need the help of the Lord.

   I try to look at these distractions as a means of increasing my faith and determination to reject Satan.  As soon as I am aware that I’ve been distracted I give the distractions to Jesus and ask His help in rebuking the devil and the lies he tells me.

   Is it possible that God allows me to be distracted to teach me that I can do nothing without Him?  Are these intrusions meant to give me the opportunity to rise above them, returning to the prayers, study and contemplation of God strengthened by the experience?  I’m not sure but I am sure that Jesus is pleased each time I turn to Him for help in shutting out the evil one.  I will take the distractions and look at them as a challenge to increase my faith life and rely more completely on the strength of my Lord.

Lord, so many times my minds drifts away.
Away from You and toward earthly concerns.
I beg of You to help me reject Satan’s distractions.
In my weakness be my strength.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment