Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Baptism of our Lord

   “In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.  And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opened and the Spirit descending upon him like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”  (Mark 1: 9 – 11)

   Baptism is to wash away our sins, both original sin and any personal sins committed up to that point.  Since Jesus was without sin I’ve wondered why He was baptized.  Even John questioned it saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?  (Matt 3: 14)”

   I believe Jesus’ baptism was the example we are to follow; we need our sins to be washed away in those blessed waters.  Similarly, I think the appearance of the Holy Spirit as a dove and the voice of God declaring that Jesus is His son was not for the benefit of our Lord but for our benefit.

   The apostle John tells us that we are indeed children of God.  “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God.” (1 John 3: 1).  Through baptism we become the adopted children of God; brothers and sisters of our Lord Jesus Christ in spirit.

   Jesus was and is the Son of God for all eternity.  We are the ones who are welcomed as His children, pleasing Him with our baptism.  Jesus gave the example and God clarified it.  We are to follow it.

Jesus, I thank You for Your example of baptism.
You purified the waters to wash me clean of sin.
Help me to live the promises of my baptism.
To seek Your will in all I do.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment