Thursday, January 31, 2019


Children of God

   “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.” (1 John 3: 1)

   God did not create us to be His subjects.  We were not to be ruled purely by instinct as were the other animals, birds and fishes.  He created us to be family; one of His children.

   I remember as a child when I was doing something that I wasn’t supposed to do I would make sure I did it somewhere that my parents would not see.  I knew I shouldn’t be doing it but did it anyway as children will do.  But I also knew that I would be in trouble if my parents saw me or found out.  So I did my best to do in secret.

   It wasn’t too hard to avoid my parents and their watchful eye, there was plenty of other things to keep them distracted.  With God as my Father there is nothing that can be hidden; nowhere that He does not see.  If I choose to do evil He knows and knew even before it was done.  Nothing is secret, nothing is hidden.

   When I consider this fact it serves as a caution for me.  When tempted I try first to remember that the Lord knows I’m being tempted and wants to help me resist.  My first wish is to go to Him in prayer for the strength and courage to resist.  Yet there are times when the temptation is unexpected and comes as a surprise; other times when I may act before thinking.  These are the times when I have let my heavenly Father down.

   As a child I would gladly accept a spanking or grounding rather than a lecture about how I had disappointed my parents.  I am humiliated and humbled so much more when I have let my Father in heaven down.  It tears at my heart and reminds me that without Him and His forgiveness there is no hope for me.

Father, I am so ashamed when I disappoint You.
When my actions are not those of a loving son.
Yet You forgive and are merciful.
In this is my hope and my salvation.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment